Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Unit 3 Reflection

This unit was about the circulatory system and respiratory system, particularly about the heart and blood vessels. The cardiovascular system works by taking inhaled oxygen and transporting it to the rest of the body through blood vessels. Cardiovascular health revolves around the blood vessels; if a blood vessel becomes thin with an aneurysm, then heart disease can occur.A stroke occurs when theres is a blood clot in the blood vessel. In a recent lab, we learned about blood pressure and how it was measured: 
http://alexandriatso17.blogspot.com/2015/10/measuring-blood-pressure-lab-analysis.html
To promote cardiovascular health, one should not smoke or consume excess alcohol or drugs. One should eat healthy, maintain weight by exercising, and getting enough sleep. However, genetics do play a big role. I would like to learn more about how stress directly causes heart disease, as well as how big of an impact genetics have and to what extent we can reduce the risk of heart disease by counteracting genetic factors. 
In this unit, some strengths I had were that I had learned many concepts over summer before, so I knew the anatomy of the heart very well. One weakness I had was that I had not learned about the blood vessels in detail before. Some successes include my group's teamwork when we did the heart dissection because we were all very eager and competent, so there was very little confusion. There honestly haven't been many setbacks except for the unit test, but I have no idea what happened there. 
As for my health goals, I have successfully gotten enough sleep lately, particularly because my SATs happened recently and I was a lot more determined to get enough sleep. I have also been able to get enough exercise through regularly doing yoga, which hasn't been too hard to fit in because I find that it really helps me unwind for sleep. Goals that I have for the remainder of the semester would be to continue to get enough sleep and to also try to always set aside time to strengthen my relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment